Shalynn Flavell, CHt.
Being born and raised in Hong Kong, my eyes were naturally open to diversity. Diversity in people, in ways of thinking and ways of life – with all its unlimited possibilities, choices and cultural norms. Schooled both in Hong Kong and England, I built a very solid base of consideration and respect for others and a strong ability to communicate easily and honestly. When living with 75 girls from all over the world in a boarding house all school year, this is a very important skill!
From a young age I inherently had an interest in the “human condition”. Always feeling a draw to find purpose, I began to clearly see that no matter where a person is from, what language they speak, how they live and have lived, what they choose to to do and how they act, we all have a common need. Whether outwardly obvious or not, we are all attempting to secure our relationship with the “world out there” by solidifying our experiences in some concrete way.
This became even more of an important and all encompassing interest to me when at age 21 I was diagnosed with a blood cancer and had a Bone Marrow Transplant the following year. It was during this time that I first experienced Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy. It gave me the tools and ability to make many important and very necessary shifts in perspective and attitude- shifts that I have no doubt were instrumental in the very successful outcome of my treatments and are still useful and important to my continued mental, emotional and physical health. The tools and techniques I used helped me in all aspects of my illness, treatments and recovery. It seems only natural to share with others both what I learned then and what I have studied since.
I practice client-centered therapy – meaning there is no mold, no cookie-cutter for the techniques I use in my sessions. I trust that honesty and openess will guide us to the most benefical paths and tools for achieving optimal outcomes.
“Issues and problems” are all a matter of perspective. I notice that we all tend to lose sight of the power of choice – the power to choose how we perceive our experiences. To me, this is the most important aspect for successful change. It is something I hope to help others understand and clarify in themselves.
Some of my qualifications and certifications:
- Certified Transpersonal Clinical Hypnotherapist (2003)
- Neuro-Synthesis Training (2004)
- Certified Hypnotherapist and NLP Practitioner (2010)
- Medical Dental Hypnosis Pain Control Specialty (2011)
- Ultra-Learning Skills Coach (2012)
- Cognitive Behavioural Coach (2012)
- Hypno-Coach (2013)
- Integrative Life Coach (2015)
- Continuing education with recognised trainers and certifying associations
- Registered Hypnotherapist with WA State Dept. of Health
- Member of the National Guild of Hypnotists
- Member of the International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association
- Member of the Washington Hypnosis Association